Depop: My Experience

Wow! It's been a while!

I've been in the process of moving out of my flat for a while, hence the lack of posts, but now that it's all sorted, I can give this more time and attention. While I was in the process of moving and packing everything up, I came across a lot of things like clothes and shoes that I just didn't want anymore and most of it I've never even worn! At first I was going to throw them out but then I remembered about the app Depop.



Depop is basically a buying and selling app. It's easy to use and so straightforward, it literally tells you how to do everything step by step so it's very hard to mess it up. So I've set that up and put some bits on it to sell at what I think are some very reasonable prices. At first I was worried that selling and shipping the items would be complicated and not worth my time and effort but it's so simple.

Obviously I'd like to make some money out of this and there are so many videos on Youtube about running a successful Depop page, some are good and some not so good. One piece of advice they all give though, is to find a way of tracking your sales that works for you, otherwise you might actually end up costing yourself more in the long run. I've made a spreadsheet with all my items on it, how much they cost me, how much I'm selling them for, the date I posted them, the date they sold, the cost of shipping and then the profit I've made. Tracked first class postage for small parcels is £4.55 so even if I charge £5 for shipping, I've still made a small profit. I didn't just pluck prices from the air either, I searched for similar items on Depop to find an average price. I don't see the need in overcharging someone for something just because I want to make a profit so to me, finding the average price was the fairest way of doing it.

I've made some sales already and I've had people message about other items so I'm hoping it will gain some traction and I can write a follow up post, "How I made £1000 from Depop" or something along those lines. But for now, here's my advice for starting out:


  • Don't sell poor quality items, you'll just get bad reviews.
  • Keep track of your incomings and outgoings to measure profit accurately.
  • Price fairly, again think of the reviews.
  • Message people back when they enquire about an item.
  • Post/ ship items out promptly. 
  • Don't get too stressed about it. 

Let me know if you set up a Depop account so I can go follow you and maybe buy some of your stuff. If you'd like to visit my Depop, you can click HERE and it'll take you to it.

Dee
x

Comments

Popular Posts